Web Search No: Pool Ref 012625
Level/ Salary: Level 2 SC, PSGOGA, $92,548 - $102,179 pa pro rata
Location: Metro / Regional Prisons
Position Type: Full Time/ Part Time
Employment Type: Permanent/ Fixed Term
The Department of Justice, Corrective Services is seeking experienced counsellors for its Prison Counselling Service (PCS) state-wide. Recruitment will be to a 12 month pool with initial appointments offered to current vacancies across metropolitan prison sites and regionally in Albany, Bunbury, Eastern Goldfields (Kalgoorlie), and the West Kimberley (Derby).
This is a great opportunity for Psychologists and Social Workers to practice in a unique and dynamic work environment where you will make a difference to the lives of prisoners.
In metropolitan prisons there are flexible working arrangements including weekend shifts and part-time rosters. Regional prison positions provide you with an opportunity to live and work in regional, rural and remote WA knowing you will be professionally supported through clinical and line supervision, and more generally as a member of the prison staff.
• Regional allowances and subsidies available in applicable regional locations
The Prison Counsellor applies discipline specific professional knowledge, experience, and skills to provide evidence based clinical assessment and intervention services in response to psychological health needs of prisoners identified as:
- At acute risk of suicide or self-harm.
- At chronic risk of suicide or self-harm, or otherwise vulnerable within the prison system.
- Or having difficulties adjusting to prison, in transition to release, or in crisis.
Furthermore the Prison Counsellor provides consultation and participates in multi-disciplinary risk management and case planning processes.
- A 4 year qualification in Psychology and full registration with the Psychologists Board Australia; or
- A 4 year qualification in Social Work with eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers and a minimum of two years supervised experience in the field of social work.
- Possession of a current C class Motor Vehicle Driver’s Licence
You will be required to undergo a National Criminal History check.
If you are interested in this position and would like further information on the role, contact Jill Taylor on (08) 9230 2055.