Weight Management Psychology is a leading organisation in the psychology of eating, physical activity, weight and body-image in Australia. We are highly regarded by medical, surgical and allied health professionals and have a strong client base, referral network and social media presence.
With exciting online courses, expanding group programs, academic research of our interventions, a growing YouTube channel and podcast, several collaborations with leaders in the field, like-minded health professionals, universities and industry groups and our founder's upcoming book 'Thinsanity' due for release in January, Weight Management Psychology offers an exciting opportunity to put yourself at the forefront of an exciting and rapidly growing field.
There are countless opportunities for the right candidate to develop expert clinical practise in this emerging field and build a rewarding career with the support of a driven, friendly and professional team of psychologists, personal trainers, and marketing specialists. We also enjoy a close relationship with our extended family of dietitians, doctors, surgeons and exercise physiologists making for a great extended interdisciplinary team.
About the role
Due to demand for our services, Weight Management Psychology is looking for a self-motivated, experienced, independent and extremely reliable team player to join our small and close-knit team of hard working dedicated people passionate about spreading psychologically-minded, evidence-based, and non-stigmatising messages about the health and wellbeing of people who are living in larger bodies. The role is as a sub-contractor and could begin immediately and grow organically.
The successful applicant will:
- Have significant experience in the psychology of eating, exercise, weight and body-image (3+ years minimum).
- Have superior interpersonal skills and ability to retain clients.
- Be happy to consult after-hours (e.g. 5pm, 6pm times) and build a client-base slowly.
- Want to build a successful career in the psychology of eating, movement, weight and body image.
- Be a fully registered psychologist with AHPRA.
- Have their own insurance.
- Have demonstrated ability to effectively engage with colleagues, clients and their stakeholders.
- Understand and be willing to work within a principally non-dieting framework.
- Be trained in CBT/ACT.
- Have training and experience in EFT (emotional freedom techniques), and/or Clinical Hypnosis (strongly preferred).
- Have experience in working with bariatric surgery patients (pre and post surgery) (strongly preferred).
- Be registered as a Clinical Psychologist under Medicare (preferred).
- Have lived experience with eating, weight and/or body image concerns (valued but not required).
- Be able to obtain a Medicare Provider Number.
What we offer
- Supervision from our principal psychologist, Glenn Mackintosh
- Competitive salary
- Career development opportunities for the right person (self-motivated and hard-working people with integrity flourish at WMP!)
- Build your name and career in the ethical weight management space
Our clients are typically people who have struggled with yo-yo dieting, referred by dietitians, GPs and bariatric surgeons. They appreciate the weight-inclusive, evidence based, innovative and authentic approach we provide. Our clients also see value in the extra care and close inter-disciplinary support we offer.
How to apply
Please send an email with a brief outline of why you are interested in this position and what you can bring to the role together with your CV, to Emma Sparenburg (Practice Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone (07) 3358 3312 with any questions.
To apply for this position, you must hold a valid visa to work in Australia.
Only candidates who fit the criteria will be contacted.