Whenever and wherever people in Queensland need us the most, we’re there. That’s how it’s been for almost a century. Join us and help us keep it that way.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. Using the latest in aviation, medical and communications technology, RFDS delivers extensive primary healthcare and 24-hour emergency service, from nine strategic bases, to those who live, work and travel throughout Australia.
Fixed-term, full-time or part-time until June 2019 with extensions in line with ongoing funding.
Location: Based at Cairns. Requires regular fly in/fly out or drive in/drive out to communities.
Requires overnight stays in communities.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service (Qld Section) are seeking experienced Mental Health Clinicians/Senior Mental Health Clinicians to become vital contributors to our services in remote Indigenous communities throughout Far North Queensland. As a part of our multi-disciplinary Mental Health & Wellbeing Team, our clinicians work together to develop and deliver culturally appropriate holistic services, whilst implementing a range of clinical evidence-based interventions.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to explore the communities of Far North Queensland. In this role, you will provide professional clinical mental health services for a case load of people with mild to moderate mental illnesses, following an intake, triage, assessment and evidence-based treatment process. The successful applicant will also be able to complete the appropriate documentation and risk assessments in a timely manner.
We are looking for Mental Health Clinicians/Senior Mental Health Clinicians who are competent in their skills base and comfortable to work in an autonomous role, within a supportive team. An important aspect of this role includes maintaining existing and developing relationships with stakeholders and community members and we also encourage our clinicians to provide psycho-education in communities as required.
Why join us?
In return for your skills, energy and commitment to our mission, we offer you the opportunity to make a real impact in Queensland communities and truly help others. You will be working with people who are passionate about our purpose and proud of their contribution to our iconic organisation.
As a valuable member of a passionate team driving RFDS service and care, you will come to work knowing that you and your colleagues are providing vital support to people in Queensland communities. Critically, you are also helping ensure our organisation is efficient, effective and sustainable now and in the future.
Your contribution will be rewarded with an attractive remuneration package plus salary packaging arrangements. We will support you in your endeavour to develop new skills in a close-knit team that encourages the sharing of ideas and knowledge.
Who we are looking for?
To be successful in this role you will need to possess the following:
- Tertiary Mental Health qualifications in the professional areas of Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Nursing with the relevant registration or membership.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver psychological support in a flexible and responsive approach through brief interventions, ongoing therapeutic counselling, case management, and mental health education.
- Understanding of the objectives and principles of welfare reform, including a commitment to supporting and strengthening of community action around restoration of social norms, and the empowerment of individuals to take responsibility for making positive choices about their health and wellbeing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with remote communities with an understanding of the health and wellbeing issues that impact them.
- The capacity to work overnight in community for up to three nights per week.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be a part of the Mental Health and Wellbeing Team at the RFDS and to make a real difference in the lives of those people in remote communities throughout Queensland.
Due to the autonomous nature of these roles, provisional psychologists would not be suitable.
There are three ‘must-haves’ that we look for in every employee of RFDS (Queensland Section). We want people who:
- Are passionate about providing the finest care to people in Queensland;
- Go above and beyond to drive a positive, cohesive team culture – helping each other to help others;
- Embrace the challenges our organisation faces - have the motivation to help us thrive in a competitive, commercial, KPI-driven environment.
This role will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug and alcohol test and will be subject to a criminal history check. You will also be required to be eligible to hold and maintain a current Working with Children Blue Card.
Click on the following link to apply: http://flyingdoctor.applynow.net.au/jobs/RFDS273
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: COB Monday, 27 August 2018.
The RFDS is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.
For further information please contact Jos Middleton, Clinical Team Leader on 0409 154 477.